Translate

Thursday, November 8, 2012

Desiree: Napoleon’s First Love


http://www.christyenglish.com/2011/08/19/desiree-napoleons-first-love/

Friday, August 19th, 2011 | The Writing Life

When I was in high school, more years ago than I care to count, I had the pleasure of reading DESIREE by Annemarie Selinko. I loved this novel of Napoleon’s first love, a woman who lived to see the end of the Revolution and the fall of Napoleon’s empire. She went on to become Queen of Sweden in a twist too bizarre to be anything but true history. Fact is indeed stranger than fiction.
I am finishing off French Revolution Week here on my blog with a stroll into my own past. This novel left me with a sense of sorrow and of triumph, giving me insight into the character of a woman who truly lived in fascinating times. This novel was re-released last fall, so new readers can discover this journey into the past.
I am very happy to refer you now to the wonderful review of this novel posted by Lucy on her blog Enchanted by Josephine earlier this year. She is much more eloquent than I as she describes this novel, and how lovely it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment