Translate

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Amazon U.K. reviews

I know that most of the reviews are about the book being in German.  They remind me that the book was first written in German, and then translated into many other languages.

3 of 3 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for any historical fiction lover!10 Oct 2010
This review is from: Désirée. (Paperback)
In his memoirs, dictated while he was in exile on the island of St. Helena, Napoleon named his first love as Desiree Clary, a silk merchant's daughter from Marseilles. In the breathtaking novel simply titled Desiree, author Annemarie Selinko chronicles the life of the woman who was Napoleon's fiancee, a woman who rose from being a commoner to becoming a wife of a General to Queen of Sweden and Norway.

As a little girl Desiree received a diary from her beloved father and through it she narrates her story. Desiree first meets Napoleon through his brother Joseph, who will later become her brother-in-law, and takes a fancy to the young and determined General. Even though their relationship would die young and he would break her heart, Napoleon and Desiree would remain in each other's lives until his quest for world domination ended in his exile to St. Helena.

Desiree is a mesmerizing look at the rise and fall of Napoleon told from the woman who first held his heart and knew him like no other. It is touching and beautifully written and no historical fiction readers' library is complete without this exceptional, un-put-down-able novel!
Help other customers find the most helpful reviews 
Was this review helpful to you? Yes No


1 of 1 people found the following review helpful
1.0 out of 5 stars The book is in German!1 Dec 2011
By 
Levana Vivante "Elle Vie" (Holon, Israel) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)   
This review is from: Désirée. (Paperback)
For the very first time I am very, very disappointed with Amazon.co.uk.
Only after ordering this book did I learn that this book is in German.
I think that a book in a foreign language should me marked in a special way, after all - when ordering a book in England, I am allowed to presume that the book is in English.
Help other customers find the most helpful reviews 
Was this review helpful to you? Yes No


1 of 1 people found the following review helpful
1.0 out of 5 stars product in German10 Jan 2011
This review is from: Désirée. (Paperback)
Unable to review product as the book was written in German which i can neither read or write.There was no mention of this when the product was ordered, therefore the product was returned.
Help other customers find the most helpful reviews 
Was this review helpful to you? Yes No


1.0 out of 5 stars German28 Jun 2012
By 
Dr. Robert Grice "Robert97" (York uk) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)   
Amazon Verified Purchase(What is this?)
This review is from: Désirée. (Paperback)
The fact that it is German should be made clear!
It is so disappointing to wait or a book, and when it arrives it is in German.
Help other customers find the most helpful reviews 
Was this review helpful to you? Yes No


1.0 out of 5 stars please read the reviews!!6 Jun 2011
By 
P. Gillespie (carrickfergus, northern ireland) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)   
This review is from: Désirée. (Paperback)
I ordered this book and did not read the reviews before I ordered, otherwise I would have known from other readers experience that this book is written in German. Nowhere on the site, apart from the reviews, was this made obvious and I wish I had read the review before I bought, but I have never been misled by Amazon before and I have now paid the price. I will be returning the book and I am very, very disappointed.
Help other customers find the most helpful reviews 
Was this review helpful to you? Yes No


1.0 out of 5 stars Desiree in German6 Feb 2011
This review is from: Désirée. (Paperback)
When ordering a book in England, one might be forgiven for expecting the book to be written in English, especially as there was no mention anywhere that it might be in a foreign language. Unfortunately, the book delivered to me is in German and I am therefore unable to read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment