Translate

Friday, June 29, 2012

Desiree by Annemarie Selinko

From Madame Librarian


FRIDAY, DECEMBER 10, 2010


Desiree by Annemarie Selinko

Desiree is a child of the French Revolution as her father has instilled the values of the Rights of Man.  As her world is changing around her in France, Desiree only worries about the future of her family.  It is her destiny that she meets the young general, Napoleon.  Napoleon and Desiree fall in love and the marriage is arranged.  However, Napoleon's quest for power causes him to reject Desiree for a women who will help his rise to power.  Desiree marries a rival of Napoleon, and her marriage slowly brings to Desiree's rise to power with her husband.  Even though Desiree and Napoleon have chosen separate paths, their lives continue to intertwine.  The relationship between Desiree and Napoleon show just how important someone's first love truly is.

This was not the first time I read this book, but the second.  It was recommended to me by my aunt when I was in middle school.  I started to reread it again because of the stress of a fatal accident of my husbands grandfather.  This book is an excellent book to take a person away from the stresses of their lives.  It took me months to finish it because I was so tied into family and school work (I started in September).  Even though it was only the second time reading it, I really really recommend it to anyone who enjoys classic literature, romance, or historical fiction.  I recommended it to a friend in the past because she liked books like Jane Eyre.  She really did enjoy the book and I hope that other people will read this book and it can take them them back to the past and away for a little while.

No comments:

Post a Comment